Friday, October 28, 2011

Cupcake Surprise!

I love dessert! It is a weakness. I have tried really hard lately to have healthier eating habits. I think this is one reason why I have taken up crafting - to avoid making all the deliciously unhealthy recipes I have found on Pinterest. However, having a bowl of ice cream every now and then is fine, right? I mean...everything in moderation...isn't that what people say? Well, last night we had small group and I took that as my opportunity to make a new creation I have been dying to try. And I figured since other people would be partaking (at least I had hoped they would), that it would be okay to have one myself.

I have deemed this little creation as "Cupcake Surprise". Fitting title since there is a surprise inside - a reese's mini cup - YUM!

I started with this for the cupcake part of this little experiment. You can use any brand of cupcake mix you prefer and I'm pretty sure any other candy you prefer (haven't tried it though, so don't hold me to that).



Make the cake mix as directed on the box. Then, fill the cupcake holders about 1/4 - 1/2 full and then place the Reese's on top of the mix like so:


Next, fill the cups with the remaining cake batter.


Easy-peasy! Then bake! While the cupcakes were baking, I made my own frosting. I decided the best frosting choice would be peanut butter (what else would be better?!). This was my first attempt at making frosting from scratch (gee, someone was feeling ambitious).

Here is what you need for peanut butter frosting:


2 c Confectioners sugar
1 c creamy peanut butter
1 stick butter (room temperature)
3 Tbl milk or cream (I chose almond milk because that is all I had)

First, you want to cream the peanut butter and stick of butter. This is where you want the butter to be room temperature so it is easier. (Mine wasn't room temp so I softened it in the microwave for a few seconds). Then, add the sugar and mix. And finally, add the milk or cream. This is what it will look like


I was going to attempt making a pretty design on the cupcake when I frosted it, but the frosting was a bit thick for my make shift bag (frosting design tip and a plastic baggie). I guess that's what I get for being a bit too ambitious. Here is the final product


My husband helped me frost them as we were literally running out the door already 30 minutes late to small group. I think these made up for our tardiness though. :) Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. I've made these before! Didn't you love them? I mean... peanut butter and chocolate = best combo of all time. :) Another super easy "surprise" is to bake brownies, and right after you pull them out of the oven, poke several Reese's cups down into the warm gooey pan of brownies. Let it melt the Reese's cups just a tad, then dig in! I usually put one cup per slice of brownie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Liz,
    Hey! Super fun blog, girl. We missed you this week, but I bet you guys are having a blast! It's been fun getting to know you better through some of your posts. I especially enjoyed the one about putting God in a box.

    Talk to you soon.

    ReplyDelete