Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Frugal Advocate

If you're anything like me, you love a good bargain - especially when it is FREE! I love finding activities that cost nothing (or close to it). When Keith and I decided that I would quit my job and be a stay at home mom when Connor was born, I immediately began to think of all the fun things we could do all day! (of course this will all be when he's old enough to actually stay awake longer than a couple hours) I really want to minimize his TV watching (just a personal preference) and fill that time with games and activities. I have found lots of fun stuff on Pinterest to do when he's a few years old. (check out some of my boards!)

Another idea is the public library. I went to ours last week to look for some Spanish on cds (brushing up for my trip to Cancun). Now, I am an avid reader - I LOVE it! I hold my parents responsible for my shelf-filling, keeping B&N in business, time-consuming habit (what?! Your parents didn't make you do book reports in the summer? That's odd...) However, I have not been to a public library since I was...well...doing summer book reports :) When I so carefully chose my Spanish cds (there were only two to choose from...hmm...other people must be brushing up on their Spanish too) and I took them up to the counter and proudly handed them my brand new library card I was completely thrown off when they handed my card and cds to me without asking me to pay for anything. I had totally forgotten that the public library owns books out for FREE! Not only that, but they also have story time for youngin's too! I am a HUGE advocate for public libraries and I think more people should take advantage of them.

A couple other ideas of fun activities are going to your local craft store. They will offer free (or for a small fee) classes or craft sessions for kids. This beats buying the stuff myself and doing it at home when I can do it much cheaper at the store! And, of course, there is always your local home improvement (I'm a Lowe's kinda girl, but I'm sure Home Depot has the same stuff) store that will have morning or weekend activities (like building a bird house) for the kids!

I am really looking forward to all the fun stuff Connor and I will get to do in the coming years. But, for now, I will cherish these moments - smiles, laughs, and small milestones like rolling over.

1 comment:

  1. if you like reading, you totally need to join out bookclub!! it's so much fun!

    also, i don't know which library you go to, but the one in weaverville always has stacks of free magazines and other odd books in the lobby. i got about 15 back issues of home and garden- for free! also- when conner gets older, you'll have to take him to the toddler classes.....so much fun! songs and dancing and books and you get to meet other moms. it's great!

    ok, enough w/the never-ending comment now.....ha ha!

    ReplyDelete