Friday, December 16, 2011

A visit to the bluegrass state

Some of my greatest childhood memories come from riding for hours in the van to visit family. We would load up the car in the middle of the night and travel from Knoxville to either Kentucky or Ohio to visit grandparents, aunts, uncles, and other distant family members.

This past week my dad called me up and asked if Connor and I wanted to go with him to visit his brother in Kentucky this week. I was so excited to load up the car and head down the road to get things started with my old man. I was excited to show Connor a glimpse of my childhood - even though I know he doesn't understand, nor will he remember it.

We had a lot of fun catching up with family that we haven't seen in quite some time, eating some real country home cooking (love me some biscuits and gravy!), and learning more about our family tree and history from my dad.

 My absolute favorite thing was a memory I will forever cherish in my heart - singing with my dad. I don't mean jammin' out to whatever song is on the radio. No. I mean singing some real oldies that my dad and I sang when I was really little - a little bluegrass if you will. They are songs that I sing to Connor at times and I loved singing them with my dad again. We both had HUGE smiles on our faces as we sang verse after verse of these old tunes. It truly made my heart happy.

So, one confession is that I need to get better at taking more pictures. But, here are a few from our trip:





No comments:

Post a Comment