Tuesday, March 6, 2012

I don't have "out-laws"

I do not have the stereotypical in-laws. You know the kind...the mother-in-law who is always in your business and not very tactful in giving un-solicited advice or the father-in-law who stays quiet and plays an inactive role in building a relationship with his daughter-in-law. No, my in-laws are not the typical "out-laws" that you hope never visit or call. In fact, they are the exact opposite.

Keith and I both get very excited when his parents call and say they want to make the five and a half hour trek across TN to visit us or they plan a weekend for us to visit them or even better, they plan a trip for the entire family to vacation in a foreign land!

I don't dread their upcoming visit or even loathe their stay while they're here. In fact, one of the last times they came to visit I encouraged them to stay longer than their planned weekend stay and they hung out with us for a week and a half! Does this sound unusual and hard to believe for you? Well, it's because you don't have my in-laws! And no, I'm not trading them or giving them away for anything!

Why do I absolutely love hanging out with them? If you have ever hung out with them, you would know! But, in case you haven't had the pleasure, I will share with you only a few reasons.

They are TONS of fun!! They love to have parties, go dancing, kick back and have a brew-sky, go rock climbing, and take on any adventure you throw their way. They truly are 30 year olds in 50 year old's body.

They are also super easy to talk to. If you ever have the chance to just sit and talk to them, you will find yourself opening up and talking about things you would never dream of talking about with your in-laws. And you know without a doubt that your conversation is being kept confident. And even when Connor was born, they never once gave unsolicited advice on how to raise our child. They offer advice when asked and are very respectful of his schedule that I have him on.

They will call or text (especially when they know you hate talking on the phone) just to say hi and see how things are going. They always call on your birthday to sing, yes SING, Happy Birthday to you. You look forward to it every year. :)

And when they come to visit, it's a blessing! They understand that being a stay-at-home-mom sometimes means that there is no "me time". So, they offer to take their grandson to run errands so you can get work done and just have some alone time. It's a win-win for all of us. I get "me-time" (even if it is working, I don't have to worry about keeping up with the kid) and Connor gets to hang out with his grandparents and they get to spend time with him!

Keith's dad will drive in for a weekend just to help us with projects around the house. Keith's mom will back out of a girl's weekend so she can drive up here to stay with me while Keith is out of town and I have to work.

When they are here, they help in any way I need. For instance, Keith's birthday shindig was this past weekend. Darcy left bowling early with me to help finish getting food ready before people came over and once Teresa got home she came straight to the kitchen to see what she could help with. After she did that task, she immediately began cleaning up dishes until I could come up with something else that I needed help with. Oh! And they also help cook! Yes, even Ron :) In fact, he even helped make Connor's baby food so Teresa and I could work out.

Again, these are only a few reasons...I can definitely come up with many many more!!

They are truly selfless. And not only are they our family, they are our friends. I am so blessed!

No comments:

Post a Comment