Tuesday, March 6, 2012

#trainingforahalf

This has become a common hash-tag for my Twitter account. (Yes, I gave into another form of social media...)

I know what you're thinking; "why in the world would she want to run a half marathon?!" Trust me, I asked myself the same question today during my six mile run. This is what I have come up with...

I am stubborn.

That's it; that's the simple and most explicable answer - I'm truly stubborn.

Where did it all begin? Well, I ran track in high school and ran my first 5K (3.1 miles) while living in Florence and got hooked! I love the way it makes me feel. And, if I'm being 100% honest, I love the free t-shirts to show off my accomplishments. For years I have been saying that I want to run a half marathon (13.1 miles). Why? Just to say that I did. To prove to myself that I can. Oh, and of course for the free t-shirt and medal (everyone gets a medal)! But, really, that's all it ever was for me - just talking about it and never putting it into action.

This all changed this past year when I met this girl who has also wanted to run a half. We tried to find a race that we could both run together, but things never worked out. I figured I could run one by myself and began searching for a race. The race in Nashville caught my attention since Keith's family is near that area. I saw that the race is at the end of April. After finding a basic training regiment off a credible running site, I quickly realized that I was already 3 weeks late in beginning my training. Given this time frame and the fact that I should have been running 4 miles a day comfortably even before beginning the training plan, I realized I needed to get my butt in gear and start running.

That's just what I did. I bought myself some running pants (this was motivation in itself because they aren't cheap), put Connor in his winter gear, strapped him in his jogging stroller, and hit the trails.

I started by running 3 to 4 miles a day for the first couple weeks and then started getting into 5 and today 6 miles. I will say that I can comfortably run 3 miles without feeling too terrible. However, today, while running my 6 miles I will admit that I had the same thought you all have - I am crazy for thinking I want to do this!! I kept going though and finished my 6 miles. And, I did that in 1 hour which is a 10 minute mile while pushing a stroller. (If you've never run while pushing a stroller then you are truly missing out on a good workout!) I felt great afterwards and actually began looking forward to another run tomorrow!

The only thing that got me through my run (with the help of water and a package of GU) was pride and stubbornness. I have always been one to push and refuse to disappoint myself.

So, why am I sticking with this goal of mine?

I'm doing it for me.

Questions: What goal do you have that you've been thinking about for a long time but haven't started? What motivates you? 

4 comments:

  1. I want to be able to run 2.4 miles without DYING! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. i SOOOO wish we could have gotten our schedules together to train. the short weekday runs are no biggy by yourself, but damn! those weekend ones by myself are tough! last week i got up at 7 am all by myself to run for 2 hours straight in the freezing cold. like you, nothing but pride and stubbornness got me through it! my race is next weekend (mar 25th) and gotta say, i am SOOOO looking forward to accomplishing it (hopefully!!!) and moving on from all the training. definitely more than i ever realized! ha! and like you, i started 4 weeks late, didn't run at all for 2 weeks b/c of an injury, and have completely slacked some days. this is definitely going to be a "pull-it-out-of-my-a**" kind of race! ha! anyways. let me know how it goes for you and maybe one day soon we can really run together! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh and p.s.- a great place to go if you need running shoes is "Jus Running" off of Merrimon. they are uber-nice and informed and help you get just the right shoe for your stride. and reasonably priced too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. When I get back Liz, you are gonna bust my tail into shape b/c i desperately want to run a half marathon too!!! I miss running so bad and seem to have to motivation to do it right now. I'm a big blob of skin....I could rant & rant all day about it but just know that you will be my trainer & motivator!!! With all of our kids in tow!! Love & miss you!!
    Candice

    ReplyDelete