Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Will I sacrifice daily?

Nobody prepares you for having children.

Sure, they tell you that the birthing process will be painful and that your life will change after your new bambino comes into the world. However, this whole storytelling process is a lot like collegiate classes for future educators (I'm sure other majors have the same ones, but I can only relate to education). You know the kind - they tell you how how to teach a class (rarely, if ever, tell you how to manage a class), how to have good record keeping, etc, but it isn't until that final semester (yes, only three short months of actual classroom involvement) that you get a taste of what teaching will be like. My theory is that they do this at the end of your senior year of college because they know that if you don't like it, you'll push on and continue through to graduation because you've already spent 3.5 years and lots of money to just change majors. I digress...

Back to child-rearing.

It isn't until you are home alone with your child day in and day out (weeks and months after family and friends have left with all the yummy pre-made food) that you begin to realize how exhausting it is to be a mom.

There are times when you feel like you have zero personal time. I know what all of you non-moms are saying, "what about when the baby sleeps?" That's a great idea...in theory. If I want a clean house and food to eat, that is when I usually get those things done - when baby is sleeping. Raising a child is mentally, emotionally, and physically exhausting.

I don't say these things to discourage any of my friends who do not have kids, yet (Laura - I'm still waiting for you to get pregnant next!). I say these things to let all of my mom friends out there know that you're not alone in these feelings. I was beginning to feel guilty for feeling a bit selfish at times. But, after reading this blog post, I felt very encouraged in knowing I wasn't alone in my thoughts and feelings. I was also encouraged to serve the Lord by serving my child every moment of every day.

After you read the post, ask yourself the same question I am - are you willing to sacrifice every day? Even when its hard? Even when you feel as though you're alone in this process?

1 comment:

  1. ahhhh.......such a good article! convicting and thought-provoking. some days i feel good at the self-sacrificing. sometimes it's an hourly thing- good one moment, bad the next. like you said, it is definitely a harder job than anyone really tells you. and not to be doom and gloom, but in some ways it gets harder as they get older- more mental/emotional questions and situations arise, not just the physical (poopy diaper mess, etc.). and they're older and really taking in exactly how you respond.

    the good thing i like about this (just like marriage and our relationship w/Christ) is how it's never a "i've arrived there" type of thing. always learning and growing.....always a journey. one i'll totally blow some days and shine on w/other days. just makes me thankful for grace and millionth chances! :)

    ReplyDelete