Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Not-So-Supermom

I am certain that all of you moms, soon-to-be-moms, and maybe-one-day-moms will all be able to relate to this post.

Every woman who is about to embark on the greatest adventure of her life as a mom has the same thoughts, feelings, and plans as any novice parent does - I will spend all free time with my kid; my kid will not watch tv nor will they eat fast food; we will have arts and crafts every day; their toys will be picked up every day; etc, etc, etc. On top of that, if you're a stay-at-home mom you are convinced that by the time your husband gets home from a hard day of work in order to provide for your family, the house will be spotless, laundry folded and put away, dinner on the table, and a happy baby smiling and ready to embrace Daddy with open arms as soon as he walks through the door. You have the image and confidence of being a supermom!

As the days push on and things don't fall into place as you had imagined, you begin to feel like a failure (or maybe that's just me?). My child is only 8 months old, but I am learning that, even though not all of the supermom traits are that far-fetched, they do require a whole heck of a lot of effort and time. Speaking of time, did you notice I mentioned something about "free time" above? - what exactly is that?!

I have the absolute pleasure to be at home with my sweet baby boy day in and day out as well as having a job that I can do while sipping coffee and staying in my pajamas. However, learning to manage my time has become a top priority. Often times I feel like a clown in the circus - juggling many things all at once. Granted, I put a lot (okay all) of the pressure on myself to be this supermom. In my mind I can do it all and do it well. I feel like the Little Engine that Could...I CAN spend all of my time with my child... I CAN get all of my work done while he's napping... I CAN make sure the house is clean, dinner on the table, and laundry done before Keith gets home... I CAN find time to train for a half marathon... I think I can...I think I can...I think I can.

I take my job as a homemaker seriously. Aside from being with my kid all day, I look at it as an opportunity to serve my husband. He works extremely hard day in and day out in order to provide a roof over our heads and food on the table. The least I could do is provide a clean, happy, healthy environment for him to come home to at the end of the day to relax and unwind. I strongly desire this for him and would hate for him to ever loathe coming home every day because he has a wife who nags, lays around doing nothing, and an unruly child to tend to.

If you know me, you know that I put more stress on myself than needed. If one or more of the things on my to-do list doesn't get done for the day I automatically feel like a failure. And, if I ever coached you in any sport, you know that my downfall is that I always tend to focus on the things that need to be improved rather than rejoicing in the things that were accomplished. (I apologize to all of my former athletes - SORRY!!) I had this very conversation with my mother-in-law just the other day as I was having a mental break down. She said something to me that I have taken to heart and actually relieved some stress (at least for a minute - until I remind myself...over and over and over again). She said to me, "Liz, it is OKAY to let some things go for the day. Just tell yourself that you will get to it the next day. It is OKAY to give yourself a break every now and then." Those were sweet, sweet words to my soul.

Dear friends, I share with you the words of wisdom from this woman - it is okay to give yourself a break every now and then. I hope you cherish these words as much as I do.

Now, I need to go find my cape because this not-so-supermom is feeling refreshed and ready to tackle the day!


(I also need to say one thing to my amazing sister, Stasi. Something she doesn't hear me say often enough...you were right)

1 comment:

  1. Oh I have got this "not so supermom" thing down pat!!!! In my eyes....from the outside lookin in....you are a supermom & the kind of mom I wish I was. Your pretty amazing at what being a mom. But yes I completely understand where your coming from. Love ya!!

    ReplyDelete